Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Newtown, Powys, UK
Control Techniques is part of the Industrial Automation business within the Nidec Group. We are a leading provider of sophisticated automation equipment, used in commercial and industrial applications. Our innovative products are used in the most demanding applications requiring performance, reliability and energy efficiency to enhance the productivity of our customers' machines and processes.
The key responsibilities of this role will be to drive the mechanical design aspects of new product development projects, working in a multidisciplinary project team. The role will entail working as part of a larger team on significant projects, or taking on smaller design challenges independently as and when required.
The mechanical engineering aspect of drives design involves a wide-array of technologies which encompass: plastics, metal die-casting, extrusions, sheet metal, stress analysis, thermal management techniques and analysis, electrical interconnect reliability, safety & regulatory engineering, design for robustness & value engineering.
The successful candidate’s main responsibilities will include:
- Technical leadership of mechanical design projects.
- Creation of technical specifications from user requirements and relevant industrial standards.
- Concept design, modelling and development of new parts, assemblies and drawings; with emphasis on manufacturability, ease of assembly, reliability and cost whilst meeting performance requirements.
- Specify materials, components and systems to meet the product requirements.
- Daily interaction with engineers from multiple disciplines to develop the mechanical aspects of sophisticated power and control electronic products and systems.
- Thermal and mechanical simulation (FloTherm, Ansys Mechanical) – training can be provided if required.
- Preparing concise and clear technical documentation, reports and drawings.
- Work with internal and external parties during the product development and manufacturing rollout.
- Manage and facilitate product testing e.g. shock and vibration, ingress protection.
Qualifications, Experience and Profile:
- Minimum of 4 years mechanical design experience in a similar or related field.
- Design experience of: Electronic/electrical products, connectors, die casting, injection moulding, sheet metal, extrusions, heatsinks, PCBA packaging, connectors.
- Experience of working with and interpreting product and safety standards.
- Skilled user of 3D CAD (PTC Creo preferred but not essential).
About the company:
- Please quote your current/last salary on your Covering letter
- We cannot offer Visa Sponsorship on this role (EU Passport/ILR/Refugee Visa)
- Competitive Salary, bonus and benefits package
- If you apply you confirm that you will working full time in Newtown, UK
To apply please send an email to email@example.com for an application form.